While I haven’t yet registered, making it “the final nail in the coffin,” (I know I am mis-using that saying, but it seems so fitting for what I am doing 🙂 I am very mentally committed to running my VERY FIRST MARATHON on January 15, 2012.
I do plan on loosely following a training plan, mostly for the progression of long runs and some guidance for what to do during the week. I trained successfully for a half marathon without a plan, but I definitely understand that this is its own beast. I need to have a plan!
Based on a typical 16-week plan, I need to really buckle down and start following said plan the week of September 25.
There are so many things I desire that will make these 16 weeks easier for me! Let’s look at my wish list!
CamelBak 2011 Annadel: $49
When training for my first half-marathon, here is what I did on my long runs – I parked on one side of a park, and basically ran around that park several times to get up to my mileage. I’d pass by my car about every 2 miles, so I’d stop each time or every other time and drink from my water or Powerade bottle I had stored in my car. I cannot and will not stick to such a small area for marathon training – it got incredibly boring! I can’t imagine having to do this for 15+ mile runs. I want to be able to explore! Thus, I will need to bring my water with me. I can’t handle carrying it in my hand, so I think I need to invest in this, as much I have resisted the idea in the past.
Nike Swift Y-Back Running Bra: $40
I have never shelled out for a high-quality sports bra, because, to put it mildly, that is not an area I really have trouble supporting. I don’t know how else to put that 🙂 But I do desire a good one for my longer runs, and hopefully material that will handle sweat better and prevent chafing. I think investing in at least one expensive (for me) sports bra is necessary.
Lululemon Run Swiftly Long-Sleeved Tech Shirt: $68
This is what I have asked my husband for my birthday, because I know it takes a special occasion to spend this much on a shirt. I think it will be worth it, though, in the winter months when it’s cold enough to wear long sleeves, but I still want my skin to breathe. I don’t own anything Lululemon and don’t see myself stockpiling any time soon, but for a special gift? And for marathon training? Why not!
Brooks Defyance 4: $100
This is my biggest NEED, and it’s something I’ve been wanting to do for awhile now – prior to training, I want to go to the local running store and get my feet analyzed so I can figure out the best shoes for me, and then I want to get a high-quality pair that will see me through training. Right now I alternate between two pairs of New Balance shoes, and they’re both a little tired and probably not the best for me in high mileage.
Marathon Training Items I Already Have:
- Garmin Forerunner 305 – I have to admit that I already want a new Garmin, maybe the 405, but I just got this one 4 months ago, so I should probably practice gratefulness for what I have! It’s just so bulky, I want a smaller model. Maybe after the 305 gets me through my marathon, I can upgrade 🙂
- A variety of shorts, tights, socks, and tops – I’ve only been running for a little over a year, but I have accumulated a large number of running clothes. Shouldn’t need to get too much else!
- iPod and arm band – I can’t do long miles without music. My ipod nano (3rd generation) has been faithful to me since December 2007. Here’s hoping it makes it past its 4th birthday and please, please, please doesn’t break down on me before the marathon. Or I’ll be investing in a shuffle.
- Hats and Sweaty Bands – After the 4th Sweaty Band purchase, my husband said, “I think that’s enough headbands!” I usually only wear them at the gym, because in the sun I need a hat. I have two Nike dri-fit hats that will get me through.
- Gym membership – Cross-training is an important part of a healthy running life, which is why I joined a gym. My cross-training during marathon training will include spinning and weights and yoga.
It’s a good thing I have a couple of months to slowly get all of the things I want! Running is expensive!